Ad Box

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Christmas Traditions

I'm always wanting to hear other people's traditions around the holidays.  I never thought I had a bunch growing up but the more I think about it, the more I remember and do now with my own family.

We always went out in the back woods and picked out our "real" Christmas tree the first Saturday in December. Now that I'm married to a man who didn't have a real one, but fake, we put ours up the Friday after Thanksgiving. I love that we can enjoy it a week longer! We always have a pizza for dinner, even when I was young we did too!

Every year I either make or we go pick out a new ornament to put on the tree. Ian has his own 3 foot tree in his room where he has one ornament, his hand print. This year we will add another to his tree. When he grows up he can take all his ornaments with him.

Last year Ian and I read a few pages a night in Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol. I plan on doing it every year with the family- proud of myself for coming up with that all by myself :) We also read other Christmas books.

We open new PJs on Christmas Eve and read the Nativity Story and go to sleep. The next morning we open stockings and presents and then make French Breakfast muffins and orange juice. We play the rest of the day.

Now I want to know what you girls do! Post all of your traditions so we can all create new ones in our homes.

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite things about Christmas lasts all year long and was started years ago by my parents. Whenever we traveled or vacationed, we always brought back a Christmas ornament as a souvenir. My husband and I continued the tradition when we started dating, and now that we have a son, we've started it for him as well. Now when we decorate the tree, the ornaments bring back tons of memories of good times and the places we've been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We go to Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, which is really special. Usually church is in the morning, so it really shows kids how special the Christmas season really is. We always have Christmas on my dad's side on Christmas Eve. Then we come back to the house and do our own family Christmas. We usually have soups and snacks and stay up til midnight and then head to church. It really helps us to remember the reason for the season :)

    I am new to blogging. I love yours, check mine out:

    http://craftsandcrap.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete