Ad Box

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Fit for a King

There are so many birthday crown ideas out there and I've read a couple and knew I had to make one for my little guy who just turned 1.

First you need to pick your colors! This is the fun part. You can really make it anyway you want. I used two main colors and cut out two pieces of felt and make the green slightly smaller than the other.









I used paring scissors to dress it up a bit, you could do both if you wanted.













The three groups of boxes remind me of jewels a real crown had. I put buttons and a "I" for my son's initial.












You want to first sew the red squares to the green piece and then do the decorative items next. I hand sewed the buttons and used the machine to sew the "I".










Next to make it more durable, I ironed fusible webbing to the side that will be against the head.












I used elastic to make the back of the hat so it stays on his head. I covered it with fabric and I used real skinny elastic to connect the fabric, i can make it bigger the next 18 years! :)



I used a decorative stitch around the edges and I think it looks great

20 comments:

  1. That is just precious! What a great blog. I'm visiting from The Girl Creative.
    --Leigh
    dirtcheapdecoratingdivas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUTE! I'm just starting to get into Felt! This is adorable! I'd love it if you stopped by Topsy Turvy Tuesdays! http://imtopsyturvy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cutie pie! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    And link up all you want for more chances to win 30 days FREE ad space!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute project and little guy. Very clever of you, mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the crown! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great crown - and TOTALLY CUTE little guy! Thanks for sharing. I need to make a birthday crown and yours is a lovely inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! I like how you added his initial to the crown.

    Thanks for linking up to the “Cheap Thrills Thursday” party at Black Kats Design. I hope you had fun and will join in again next Thursday!

    Kat

    www.BlackKatsDesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, so adorable - he looks happy and cute in his BD crown. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I'm your newest follower from the Friday Blog hop!!! Nice to meet you! Love the crown. My boys love to make crowns for their little sister, but they do it with colored paper and they don't last long. This is great!

    Would love it if you'd come visit & return the favor. :)
    Lisa xoxo
    http://RaisingFutureLeaders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. .•..¸.•*¨Hopping in From Friday Blog Hops!  Im your newest follower¨¸.•..¸.•*¨  I hope you can hop over and visit soon!¸.•..¸.•*¨Reviews &Giveaways by TheChickenista and TheChickenista
    ¸.•..¸.•*¨Off to the next great blog!¸.•..¸.•*¨

    Happy Friday!
    Peace, Love and Much Respect! (✿◠‿◠)

    ~Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  12. So adorable!

    Thank you for linking up at www.simplydesigning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. DARLING! Found you at Tater Tots and Jello :)

    www.paisleypassions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. too cute!!!

    BTW you won my giveaway!!! be sure to email me your information!!!
    {talesofadomesticgoddess{at}hotmail{dot}com}

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute hat, Very cute little guy. Thanks for sharing how you made this adorable hat. I will be linking to your great project.
    Brooke
    thecraftcave.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a great idea, and adorable model! also a great tutorial! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's!

    ReplyDelete